about design services main contact

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Butterflies (or Flutterbys)

A few weeks ago, my husband and I took a little trip down to the Houston Museum of Natural Science. Though this place is practically a second home to us, we have somehow managed to bypass the Cockrell Butterfly Center every single time.

Huge mistake.

Upon receiving free passes from Josh's mom, we figured we'd finally give it a shot. (If it's free, it's for me, right?)
I'm so glad I'm a cheapskate because words really can't express how beautiful this place is!

Butterfly Garden 011

A three story waterfall serves as a centerpiece to the rainforest under the massive glass dome. This lush rainforest provides a home for tons and tons and TONS of butterflies!

Butterfly Garden 017

Butterfly Garden 044

You can't not find a butterfly at this place - they're everywhere! I don't think there's a square foot that's not occupied by at least 2 butterflies at any given time. I think my previous butterfly garden reluctance was due to another garden I'd been to many moons ago and my 7 year old self was highly disappointed when the butterflies were basically nowhere to be found. A let-down indeed.

I was especially lucky that day, though - one landed square on my head!

Butterfly Garden 022

He was a cool guy...

Butterfly Garden 025

We hung out a surprisingly long time before he had to go. He said had to meet his publisher for coffee and then get his kid from daycare. He was a sweet guy.

Butterfly Garden 026

Anyway, if you're ever in Houston, this is the absloute best place to go. You won't forget it!

Butterfly Garden 029

Butterfly Garden 065

Butterfly Garden 073

Butterfly Garden 061

Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails