about design services main contact

Friday, January 8, 2010

2010 "Project: Swagga" or Boom Boom Pow!

This year - nay, this decade is going to be the year to increase my amount of swagga! (That's "swagger" for the uninitiated.)

To me, this means upping the degree of style in my life. Taking inspiration from creative women like Lady Gaga and Princess Lasertron (two folks I admire on several fronts), I'm going to start injecting much more individual personality into everything I do.

This is not a New Year's resolution. I've been thinking about this for a long time and the inception just so happens to coincide with January 2010. This is not a fleeting thing, a quick promise at the start of a year that is forgotten by February. This is a new mission for my time left on this planet.

For much of my life, I've felt that my creativity was stifled directly and indirectly. "You can't wear those colors together!", "That's not how to draw a tree... This is how to draw a tree!", "That's weird... Why would you make a ____ out of a _____?", along with the obvious realization that no other kids are wearing suspenders, their dad's vest, and 15 watches on one arm.

From now on, I vow to be brave. I vow to be true to myself and my asthetic. I vow to wear my art on my sleeve, if you will pardon the pun.

I think, like so many excellent things in my life, the real turning point from mere yearning into visible action began with my wedding.

wedding 106
Photo by Monkey Tree Photography


I saw it not as "bridezilla" (a term I detest, incidentally) kind of day, but I did view mine and Josh's wedding day as a vehicle for our style. More pointedly, I felt that the day required thoughtful personalization. What is the point of staging a wedding and inviting spectators if it the multitude of options available, from ceremony to decor, don't express who you are? And since your love is a big part of who you are, what better day than your wedding day to express yourselves?

wedding 101
Photo by Monkey Tree Photography


As you can see from our write-up on Offbeat Bride, these decisions did not mean style for shock's sake. Part of who were are includes being sensitive to others' needs and desires. I really loved the balance we found.


wedding 583
Photo by Monkey Tree Photography


So, yeah... With that being succesful, coupled with more recent inspiration (like this excellent message from Lady Gaga on The Ellen Show), I've decided to up my swagga!

Stay tuned, 2010! Holla!

IMG_0252
Photo by Diana Becker

Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails