about design services main contact

Monday, September 20, 2010

Charity Chicks Houston - BRAtober (or Boobs!)

I recently completed a rather fun paper flower project for charity:

paper flowers 1221

Bra art!

Charity Chicks Houston is a local organization of gals (and a few dudes) that come together to raise money and do other charitable work for needy non-profits! It's highly altruistic - no one gets paid and no one is affiliated with any specific organization. It's just a group that helps others for the fun of it!


Last year, the Chicks helped the Save The Tatas Foundation by asking creative folks to create a piece of art out of a bra. The BRAtober event raised over $11,000 for the foundation!

This year, BRAtober proceeds are going to help Bright Pink, a group that enlightens and empowers women about their breast AND ovarian health!


paper flowers 1220

The title of my piece is "Paper Petals, Steel Will".
Obviously, I was inspired by my first official Offbeat Bride Pam's wedding flowers. I also wanted to incorporate pink for obvious reasons. I wanted to use my paper flowers to show the juxtaposition of ornamental beauty vs the beauty of the determination to live.

I hope mine gets chosen to be one of the 50 that goes on display and goes up for auction at the main event on October 1st! It would be quite the honor, especially given the stiff competition that showed up at the BRAtober event last year...

*fingers crossed*

Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails